March 30, 2014

The Paper Mache Tree Project: Progress Shots

The paper mache tree project was on hold for a while. My plans got messed around a bit when I put the husband onto learning about EMF's, as our meter box (including the smart meter) is located right outside the kids' bedroom. He started researching, didn't like what he was reading, bought an EMF reading device and decided that we are either moving the meter box, or moving them to a different room. Total tree & mural plan stuff up! We'll get a quote for the relocation of the meter box, and in all the discussion of possibly changing their room I completely lost motivation to keep working on the tree. But, I decided yesterday that there is still quite a bit of work I can do on it anyway, and it will still be able to be moved at this stage if needed. 

So, we cracked out the flour and water and had a fun messy old time! This Mamma ain't really scared of a fun mess! And it was only flour and water, so it washes out of everything, it's non toxic, and easy to clean up. And some of my gluten free health nut friends would say this is a much better use for this gluggy grain! The kids were repeating "gloopy- glue, gloopy- glue", as they were working. Not much work was being done, just a lot of squishing and squelching around with the mixture! My working process for this is to wait until they get bored, then carry on with productive work when I've kicked them outside covered in glue.


I think I'll need one more paper macheing session and then that part of the project will be complete. I have renewed motivation to keep working on the tree, and motivation to work this room situation out soon. I would really love to keep the kids in their current room, it's such a great size, and we had a pretty chandelier light installed there too. It's coming along, yeah? :) I am so excited!


Update: This project is now finished! You can view the first post about this tree here, or view the finished tree in this blog post.

Jules :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you did this a while ago but just a question about the inside of the tree. Did you line the wire inside and if so what with? I am going to be tackling one a bit similar but need the inside lined to stop little fingers getting into the wire.

Jules Madden said...

Hello! Check out this post http://julesmadden.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/paper-mache-tree-project.html
and you can see that the inside of the tree is made from layers of chicken wire. I hope this helps :)

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm wanting to try this in my classroom and I am wondering what mixture you used for the paper mache. Also, did you apply the mache on the inside of the tree? My last question is how did you cut the holes in the trunk?
Thank you,
Katy

Natalie said...

This is GREAT! Do you have detailed instructions! This is perfect for the kids room at church! I want to make it this summer!Thank u so much!

Jules Madden said...

Hello all, sorry for the late reply, these comments got lost and I just found them and published them, so sorry! The tree is formed from chicken wire, then paper mache'd on the inside and outside with a mix of flour and water until creamy consistencyis acheived to use for glue. The little holes were cut into the chicken wire, and I made cardboard edges which I stuck down with masking tape. The first layers of the tree were done with butcher paper and newspaper, and the last layer I used brown tissue paper. The tissue paper gets all scrunched and gives a nice bark effect. Any more questions please do ask! :)

Blogger said...

This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!
info bimtek

Reitsema said...

Hi Jules, this is so awesome! I’m gonna start this project right now. How thick are the walls consisting of wire and paper?

Jules Madden said...

Reitsema, I'm guessing around 1-2 inches thick

Anonymous said...

this is amazing please can u tell me how u secured the tree to the wall so it doesn't move or fall when they are inside it ? X

Jules Madden said...

The structure is screwed into the wall in a few places; it's pretty light weight so it didn't need to much anchoring. So washers and screws were placed in areas where there were joists, through places in the tree through the wire and the washers were big enough to cover the holes in the chicken wire

Anonymous said...

Hello. How did you get the paper to stick to the chicken wire? I tried the flour and water but the paper just fell right off.

Jules Madden said...

Regarding paper falling off, you may need to use gravity to your advantage or poke bits of paper through the chicken wire at the top to hold. Once you start at the top and do this, the rest of the paper should stick to the previous bits, folding paper into the wire as needed. I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules. I'm making two trees in a store I'm opening up and I have chicken wire around cardboard tubes. My concern is much like a previous commenter mentioned; how to get the paper mache to stick. I have packing paper (a bit lighter than butcher paper) and I'm wondering if you wet your butcher paper or taped it dry to the wire? Did you tuck the paper under the wire? I'll be starting this on Monday so I hope you'll see this post before then. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules. Great job!
I'm trying to make two trees in a shop I'm about to open and I have chicken wire wrapped around cardboard tubes (sono tubes). I'm worried that my paper mache won't stick (as mentioned by a prior commenter) so I have large pieces of packing paper I'm going to use first. My question is: did you put your butcher paper under the wire or tape it dry over the wire? Was it wet? I'm also going to try to use sheets instead of newspaper since these trees are ten feet tall and 18 inches in diameter and I didn't want this to take weeks. Advice? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey anon, hopefully this message is not too late. I just put the paper over the chickenwire and then painted the glue on. I kind of folded the paper into the chickenwire holes at the top to make it stay. Then layered the other paper over the top.. I hope that makes sense.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10